Local Analysis – Media
Local Analysis – Media Borough
According to Wikipedia and the Borough’s own website, Lansdowne is located 5-miles southwest of downtown Philadelphia. At over one square mile, Lansdowne is small in stature and big in what it has to offer. Its people, services, charm, architecture, culture and history of civic dedication combine to provide the true warmth that can only be found in a small town. The area that is now known as the Borough of Lansdowne was originally named for the Marquis of Lansdowne, was settled in the early 1700s. The borough has a rich industrial and commercial history and years before it was incorporated as a separate entity from Upper Darby (in 1893), it was historically home to various industries including textile, paper and cotton. In addition to its rich industrial base, the area became known for its small but elegant hotels and guesthouses including the Evergreen Lodge, Hartel’s Guest House and the Windermere.
The floral trade also blossomed with the well-known Pennock and Doemling families. By the mid 19th century, a single rail track ran through the town. Big changes followed the construction of a second track in the 1880s by the Pennsylvania Railroad. The expanded rail accessibility also attracted real estate developers. The areas best architects including renowned Philadelphia architect Frank Furness, teamed with builders to display some of their grandest designs in Lansdowne. Lansdowne became a haven for middle-class families wanting to settle in eastern Delaware County. Between 1900 and 1910, residential development throughout the borough boomed.